Wednesday, March 25, 2009

varun

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi on Wednesday denied speaking against Muslims and claimed he was being called communal because he spoke for Hindus.

“Statements that have been put in my mouth are not true,” Varun told CNN-IBN in Delhi on Wednesday after announcing at a press conference that he would not apologise for a speech he made in Pilibhit, the constituency in Uttar Pradesh where he is fighting elections.

“I never made any communal statements. I went to an area in which I felt Hindus were being targeted, so I spoke in favour of the Hindu community. It is a very sad day in the Indian politics when anyone who speaks for Hindus is branded communal,” Varun told Pallavi Ghosh, CNN-IBN’s Chief Political Correspondent.

“All statements that have been put in my mouth are not true. There is no question of me making communal statements and they have been put it into my mouth,” he said.

“I stand for India and my legacy has always been to stand for everybody and not to just stand against anybody.”

No comments:

Post a Comment